Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Most Underrated Post-Workout Remedy

After an intense workout, almost everyone has their recovery drink ready to go. Whether it is whey protein, a carb replacement drink, or a simple Gatorade, aggressive marketing deems these [often expensive] remedies as necessary. However, one that doesn't come with a lot of attention happens to be quite possibly the best, as well as the cheapest. I'm talking about milk! OK OK before you think I'm crazy just hear me out. If you still think I'm crazy after this article, well, post your comments and I will respectfully shut you down and prove you wrong. No I'm kidding ;) so let me know what you think! Unfortunately not everyone is able to enjoy milk post workout. As many of us age into adulthood, production of lactase, the necessary enzyme to digest the sugar in milk, decreases significantly thus causing lactose intolerance. However, if you are able to enjoy milk comfortably, then I suggest adding a healthy dose after your workout and the following is why.

Milk is an extremely good source of high quality protein and amino acids, carbohydrates, lipids, and micronutrients (e.g. Calcium and electrolytes). In addition, the fluid and electrolyte composition are important in rehydration. In one study, researchers analyzed effects of postworkout consumption of [isoenergetic, isonitrogenous, and equal macronutrient ratio] fat-free milk, fat-free soy protein, and carbohydrate drinks. They concluded that "postexercise consumption of milk promotes greater hypertrophy during the early stages of resistance training when compared with soy or carbohydrate consumption" (Hartman et al)

Milk protein is a combination of casein and whey protein. Whey has high concentrations of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) and is more quickly digested and absorbed whereas casein is a slower digested and absorbed protein. The typical ratio of casein to whey in milk is 3:1. This is important because it causes milk to be more slowly digested and absorbed meaning blood amino acid concentrations stay higher longer. This is often the exact reasoning for supplement companies to discredit milk with their ground-breaking, faster absorbing hydrolyzed proteins. Many times I have come across the mentality that hydrolyzed proteins are better than complete proteins because they enter the bloodstream quicker and significantly increase the rate of protein synthesis. Although they do enter the bloodstream quicker than complete protein (Koopman et al), one recent study concluded that this doesn't equal better or more protein synthesis (Deglaire et al). In fact, this study actually concluded the opposite, that hydrolyzed protein is less readily absorbed, more easily used for energy, and leads to significantly less protein in the bloodstream and muscles than a complete protein.

I am not saying don't use these alternatives to milk (especially since I use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey) but rather suggesting considering your options and goals before making a purchase. I know milk isn't as convenient as a powder, but I would definitely suggest drinking a glass of fat-free milk when you get home if you can tolerate it. If you have any questions, let me know!

References

Hartman J, et al. Consumption of fat-free fluid milk after resistance exercise promotes greater lean mass accretion than does consumption of soy or carbohydrate in young, novice, male weightlifters. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Aug;86(2)

Koopman R, et al. Ingestion of a protein hydrolysate is accompanied by an accelerated in vivo digestion and absorption rate when compared with its intact protein. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jul;90(1)

Deglaire A, et al. Hydrolyzed dietary casein as compared with the intact protein reduces postprandial peripheral, but not whole-body, uptake of nitrogen in humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Oct;90(4)

2 comments:

  1. Would you say chocolate protein powder mixed with milk is optimal broooo?

    Also I have a question that you could reply to with a new blog entry if you want:

    So i wake up at 5:30 AM and I'm at the gym by 6:00 AM... It doesn't really leave much time to eat breakfast beforehand but my trainer is suggesting that I do. I also don't really think I'd want to go to the gym with a full stomach either... I'm doing dynamic stuff with lots of motion like burpees so I really don't want food sloshing around in my stomach :-/

    My trainer is suggesting that I do eat something and that working out on an empty stomach isn't the best way to acheive my max energy levels... I agree but again there's the above dilemma... not wanting to wake up any earlier and not wanting to go on a full stomach.

    What do you think Zac?

    P.S. I do manage to get down a glass of SuperPump pre-workout if that figures into your evaluation.

    Thanks bro!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment yo. I'll definitely make a post of it because I have a lot to say so thanks!

    ReplyDelete